By Elizabeth Brown
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1½ cups reduced-fat milk (1% or 2%), or plain unsweetened rice, almond or soy milk
- 1 cup organic BPA-free canned or pouched pumpkin purée (TRY: Pacific Foods Organic 100% Pumpkin Purée)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp melted organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 large Braeburn, Fuji or Pink Lady apple, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 slices all-natural turkey bacon, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp raw honey or pure maple syrup
- In a large bowl whisk milk, pumpkin, eggs, oil, 1 tbsp honey and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice and salt. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir until just combined; set aside. (NOTE: Batter should be thin.)
- Prepare topping: In a small bowl, toss apples and cinnamon; set aside. Mist a medium pot with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add bacon and coo, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from pot and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Add apple mixture to pot and increase heat to medium-high. Add ½ cup water and 1 tbsp honey; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until apples soften and liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and return bacon to pot, stirring to combine; keep covered.
- Meanwhile, mist a cast iron skillet or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium. Working in batches, add batter to skillet in ¼ cup portions, leaving 1 inch between each. Cook until bubbles form around edges, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown, about 2 more minutes. To serve, garnish pancakes with topping.
Serving size: 2 pumpkin pancakes and 1 tbsp topping – Calories: 298 – Fat: 7 g – Saturated fat: 3 g – Carbohydrates: 47 g – Sugar: 12 g – Sodium: 451 mg – Fiber: 7 g – Protein: 15 g – Cholesterol: 125 mg